Organic food manufacturing is a well structured trade, distinct from private gardening. Presently, the EU, the US, Canada and Japan need the producers to get special certification so as to market food as “organic” inside their borders.
They provide guidelines to produce as an “organic food” and the organic food must complies with the organic standards set by national governments and international organizations.
Agriculture has been involve with organic for so long. However only during the twentieth century was a huge usage of artificial chemicals in our food supply. The organic farming movement started in 1940′s in response to the industrialization of agriculture or being called as the “Green Revolution”.
Identifying organic food
Foods claiming to be organic must be;
- Free of artificial food additives
- Often processed with fewer artificial methods, materials and conditions, such as chemical ripening, food irradiation, and genetically modified ingredients.
- Pesticides are allowed so long as they are not synthetic.
Nowadays there are various organic food certification available in many countries. There are so many in the list. Here we just list few organic certifications.
- USDA Organic of the United States
- EC (European Commission) organic certification
- UK Soil Association
- Many more…